US Tourist Safety Guide
Some travelers have the illusion that the USA is a truly free country …There is another stereotype – money rules in the States. But when confronted with reality, both myths are dissipated: freedom in the country is very conditional, and the laws are harsh and the same for all. This article is a kind of guide to traveling to the States: what, in the opinion of survival expert Edward Khalilov, should be a tourist who crosses the border of the country.
“I do not advise breaking the law. You will be issued a high fine, regardless of social status. They demand the same from politicians and movie stars as from ordinary citizens, and they often penalize them for breaking traffic rules, using drugs and so on. Sometimes the local elite is even deprived of liberty or sentenced to correctional labor.
They demand from politicians and movie stars the same thing as ordinary citizens.
For speeding you face a fine of the order of thousands of dollars, and in some cases you can even put you behind bars.
In the free States, you can get a bullet in the forehead. Yes, yes, you heard right! This is likely to happen if a police officer thinks your actions are dangerous. Who they threaten is another question, he is far less concerned about power.
The power of state bodies here knows almost no limit.
Once I witnessed such a story in North Carolina: a policeman shot a black man with the whole family. The man was waiting for his son after school and read a book in the car in the parking lot of the school. It seemed to the cop that the African American was holding a gun. During the incident, the wife of the murdered woman shouted that her husband did not have a weapon, and tearfully requested not to pull the trigger.
And this case is quite familiar to the States. Such situations have become mundane, because the authority of state bodies here knows practically no limit. Any policeman knows that he is guarding the rule of law, and believes that the law is on his side.
How to interact with the police
Correct interaction with the police is a guarantee of tourist safety in the States.
1. When going to the country, monitor various forums and articles to know how to behave in the States.
2. Try to strictly follow the learned rules.
3. Remember that each state has its own laws, and the laws of different states may differ significantly from each other.
4. Keep an id with you. Traditionally, the main document in the States is a driver’s license.
Proper interaction with the police is a guarantee of tourist safety in the States.
5. If a cop stopped you on the road, behave as follows:
Pass to the right, stop and shut off the car engine. Then open the window slightly and keep your hands on the wheel.
Wait for the policeman and follow his instructions exactly.
If you are not asked to leave, stay where you are.
Keep your distance, do not intrude into the private space of a representative of the law.
Be prepared to drive to the station and pay the fine (by the way, just in case, keep with you from five hundred to thousands of dollars for this case).
I strongly advise you not to go into the glove compartment, bag or fumble through your pockets, as they often do in Russia. Weapons in the States is legal, so the police will probably assume that you are looking for a gun.
6. If you do not speak English, use the translator on the phone. Learn a couple of standard phrases, like “I came from Russia” and “I need a translator”.
7. Do not even think of offering a bribe to a police officer.
8. Many American cops work undercover. They monitor compliance with the law, but are not recognized by their clothes or car. Remember this and do not relax.
The country introduced a promotion for denunciations
9. Near the police? Do not rejoice ahead of time: if you commit a crime, most likely, you will be informed. When this happens, the representatives of the law throw all their strength to catch the attacker. In addition, the country introduced a reward for denunciations. Having handed over a man who shot a police officer, you can get about 2 thousand dollars from the state.
High vigilance will do you good.
The medal has another side: order reigns on American roads. Accidents and boorish racers, which can often be found in Russia, are rare here.
Accidents and boorish drivers on American roads are rare
If you behave in accordance with the law, then do not be afraid to contact a law representative for help. He will always tell you how to get to the right place, and can even take a picture with you.
A policeman can even take a picture with you.
The American police are extremely friendly with law-abiding citizens. ”
American police are extremely friendly with law-abiding citizens